Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
The absolute best lemon meringe pie.
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch (generous measure)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large egg whites (Extra large)
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- You will use the rind of the lemon and the juice from the whole lemon.
- Cream together all ingredients, except water and butter.
- Add to boiling water stirring constantly until thick.
- Boil an additional 2 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon to mixture while cooling and mix.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Whip meringue ingredients until it is firm and you can form peaks.
- Place meringue on top.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes, or until the peaks are golden brown.
- Cool and serve.