Recipe by jjs1115
Baked chicken accompanied by a lemon-basil sauce with a side of ginger-steamed carrots. Quick, easy, and healthy, not to mention tasty as all get out! This recipe is for 4 but can easily be doubled or tripled up.
- 6 pieces chicken, skin on (thighs or breast meat)
- 1 small red onion (diced)
- 4 garlic cloves (diced)
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 2 lemons, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
for the carrot
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 2 inches piece gingerroot, sliced
- water, for steaming
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare chicken, wash and place skin side up on a wire rack with drip pan underneath and bake at 375°F for approx 20 minutes or until the skin is crispy. Let drip, cool, and remove skin, set chicken aside.
- Put carrots on to steam adding the sliced ginger to the steam water. Discard ginger after the carrots are cooked.
- In a pan, sauté onion and garlic in oil and butter until soft, add chicken, season, cover and cook another 15 minutes on medium heat. Remove chicken to serving plate. Add about a cup of carrot water to the onions and garlic in the pan, add lemon juice and zest, sugar, bring to a light bubble, continue cooking, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring occasionally until it reduces to a little more than half, then thicken with a light dusting of flour whisked in until desired consistency is reached. Season with more pepper and garlic powder to taste and pour sauce over chicken, serve with carrots on the side.