Recipe by ronslaney
Irish Soda bread that is quick and easy. The light rye flour gives it a flavour similar to the bread served at the Outback Steak House . Great accompaniment for soups and stews.
- 473.18 ml light rye flour or 473.18 ml whole wheat flour
- 473.18 ml all-purpose flour
- 9.85 ml double-acting baking powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 29.58 ml brown sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 473.18 ml buttermilk
- oatmeal (large flakes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the flours, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and brown sugar in a large bowl.
- Mix the egg with the buttermilk and stir into the dry ingredients just to blend.
- Dust the counter with oatmeal flakes.
- Turn out dough and knead about 10 times to cover with flakes and form a round ball.
- Place on buttered cookie sheet, cut a cross lightly on top of loaf and bake at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- If you don't want to use rye flour, use whole wheat.
- It works just as well.