Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This gorgeous, decorative bread wreath is filled with a delicious combination of cinnamon, walnuts, brown sugar and plumped raisins. It's fantastic as dessert bread or with coffee in the morning!
Bread Dough Ingredients
- 177.44 ml milk
- 2 (14.17 g) package dry yeast
- 59.14 ml warm water
- 78.07 ml melted butter, cooled to lukewarm
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml grated lemon peel
- 4.92 ml vanilla
- 2.46 ml salt
- 828.06-946.36 ml flour
- 1 egg
- 14.79 ml milk, too attach decorations
- 158.51 ml raisins, soaked in
- hot water or Grand Marnier or triple sec
- 118.29 ml brown sugar, firmly packed
- 473.18 ml walnuts, chopped fine
- 9.85 ml grated orange peel
- 4.92 ml grated lemon peel
- 7.39 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 59.14 ml butter, melted
- In a saucepan, heat milk until bubbles form on sides.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Meanwhile sprinkle yeast over warm water stirring to dissolve.
- In a large bowl, add yeast, warm milk, butter, sugar, egg, lemon rind, vanilla and salt.
- Slowly stir in 3 cups of flour.
- Sprinkle flour on counter or board.
- Knead until smooth.
- If too sticky, add up to 1/2 cup more flour.
- Placed in greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm spot until double, about one hour.
- Meanwhile, make filling. (last 8 ingredients).
- Drain soaked raisins and chop.
- In a bowl, add raisins to remaining filling ingredients.
- Mix well and set aside.
- Punch down down and roll out on a floured board into 21- by18-inch rectangle.
- Cut off a 21- by 3 inch strip and set aside for dough decorations.
- Spread filling evenly onto the dough, leaving about an inch border all the way around.
- Carefully roll up dough in jellyroll fashion and then shape into a wreath, tucking the ends under each other, pinching to secure.
- Place on a large greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise until double.
- 15 minutes before ring has finished rising preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out reserve strip of dough, and with cookie cutters, cut out leaf designs.
- Attach cutouts to ring with a little water.
- Beat egg and milk together and brush on ring.
- Bake about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter.