Prep 6 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have used this cornbread recipe for years. It is scaled down a little bit from the days when we had children at home. If I try another recipe, my dh notices the difference right away and wants me to go back to the "good one"!! This must be baked in an iron skillet, it's just not the same without it. Good with soups, with beans, with milk. Just anything you like to serve with corn bread.
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white cornmeal (I think white tastes best)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 425º.
- Spray veg.
- spray then put a little oil in a 7 to 8 inch iron skillet.
- Place in the oven while it is heating up.
- Remove when skillet is hot.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Combine all the remaining ingredients in another bowl and blend.
- Add to the dry mixture and stir in briefly.
- Don't over-mix.
- Pour the batter into the heated skillet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until browned nicely.
This is now the default family cornbread. We both adored this and it made just the perfect amount for the two of us, leaving enough for Dh's favorite breakfast the next morning and an afternoon snack. It rises nicely and turns a beautiful golden color. I added extra sugar but I won't next time - I don't think it needed it. There's very little fat in this but it's rich tasting. And you really can have this in the oven in six minutes. Absolutely terrific, GranJan.