7 hrs 15 mins
I found this on the 'net... posted in reply to a request. Jan's Cream of Asparagus Soup for the Crock pot This is not a low-fat recipe, but hey, asparagus is a good excuse to splurge. Note: This is for a 5-quart crock pot, which is larger than the usual. Cut down the proportions if you have a smaller crock pot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 onions, minced finely
- 2 potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 2 celery ribs, diced small, with tops included
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 8 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules or 8 bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- sour cream
- chives, chopped
- 1Break off and discard the tough, thick end of each asparagus spear.
- 2Chop the spears into 1/4-inch slices and add to the crock pot along with all remaining ingredients down to and including the white pepper.
- 3Add water to within 1 inch of the top of the crock pot.
- 4Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- 5About two hours before serving, use a slotted spoon to remove most of the vegetables to a blender.
- 6Use a ladle to add some of the liquid from the crock pot to the blender.
- 7Puree the mixture and add back in to the crock pot.
- 8Repeat once or twice more as necessary (you can leave some of the pieces in the crock pot for effect.) Add approximately 1 cup of the half-and-half to the crock pot.
- 9Add the corn starch to the remaining half-and-half in the carton.
- 10Close the carton well and shake vigorously.
- 11Add the mixture to the crock pot.
- 12Continue to cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- 13Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives sprinkled on the sour cream.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jan's Cream of Asparagus Soup for the Crock Pot
Serving Size: 1 (236 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 233.1
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 5.9 g
- Cholesterol 30.1 mg
- Sodium 590.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 6.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: