Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I found this on the 'net... posted in reply to a request. Jan's Cream of Asparagus Soup for the Crock pot This is not a low-fat recipe, but hey, asparagus is a good excuse to splurge. Note: This is for a 5-quart crock pot, which is larger than the usual. Cut down the proportions if you have a smaller crock pot.
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 2 onions, minced finely
- 2 potatoes, peeled, diced small
- 2 celery ribs, diced small, with tops included
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 teaspoons chicken bouillon powder or 8 teaspoons vegetable bouillon granules or 8 bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon, chopped or 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, minced or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups half-and-half
- sour cream
- chives, chopped
- Break off and discard the tough, thick end of each asparagus spear.
- Chop the spears into 1/4-inch slices and add to the crock pot along with all remaining ingredients down to and including the white pepper.
- Add water to within 1 inch of the top of the crock pot.
- Cover the crock pot and cook on high for 6-7 hours.
- About two hours before serving, use a slotted spoon to remove most of the vegetables to a blender.
- Use a ladle to add some of the liquid from the crock pot to the blender.
- Puree the mixture and add back in to the crock pot.
- Repeat once or twice more as necessary (you can leave some of the pieces in the crock pot for effect.) Add approximately 1 cup of the half-and-half to the crock pot.
- Add the corn starch to the remaining half-and-half in the carton.
- Close the carton well and shake vigorously.
- Add the mixture to the crock pot.
- Continue to cook on high for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and chopped chives sprinkled on the sour cream.