Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This soup is to die for! My friend Jan makes it for potlucks and I can never get enough. It is the best, yummiest, soup around. Good for those cold winter days and those times when you need comfort food. I don't even want to think about the calories....
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice (6-8 oz box)
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 14 1⁄2 ounces chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup shredded carrot
- 1 package Hidden Valley® Original Ranch® Dressing (not the dip)
- 1 chopped onion (optional)
- Cook rice according to directions and brown the ground beef.
- Put all ingredients into crockpot.
- cook on high for 2-3 hours.
Very good soup. I used chicken but I think ground beef would be just as good!
Oh yeah! This was super yummy. I'm putting it into my regular fall/winter-time rotation. I made as directed. I used Uncle Ben's Original Wild Rice. I think it's closer to a chowder than soup, but could be thinned out if you wish...it doesn't need it. Seriously good soup! Try it. Update: It was even better the next day. What's with the title chicken and wild rice soup? Other than the broth, there's no chicken. :-)
I made a double batch of this soup for a progressive dinner. I followed the recipe exactly... except that I doubled the amount of rice since I used a blend of wild and brown. I used 2% milk and it was still very creamy. I asked the people who came to help me come up with a rating and they gave it 10 stars until I told them 5 was as high as you could go. 4 people have already asked for the recipe and I directed them to this site.