Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was made every year for my dad's birthday.
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk (scalded)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks (beaten)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 8-inch baked pie shell
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- Combine sugar with flour, add hot milk gradually, stirring constantly to make a smooth mixture.
- Add salt and cook in top of a double boiler for 15 minutes, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Pour part of the hot mixture slowly onto egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Pour back into double boiler, mix well, and cook not more than 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly.
- Add butter, stir until melted and blended.
- Add vanilla and blend well.
- Pour into baked pastry shell.
- Combine meringue ingredients and whip till firm and can form peaks.
- Cover with meringue and bake in a 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.