Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
An overabundance of vegetables in the fridge was the inspiration for this tasty, healthy soup. You can substitute whatever you have on hand. Also, vegetable broth can be used in place of the chicken broth to make this recipe vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, squished
- 1 (15 ounce) can pink beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄4 of a green cabbage, chopped
- 15 string beans, cleaned and cut into medium pieces
- 5 large spinach leaves, stem removed and chopped
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 6 button mushrooms, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add chopped onions, sautee until soft.
- Add broth and equal amount of water.
- Add squished canned tomatoes and their juice.
- Add carrots, potatoes, cabbage, and bring to a simmer. After these veggies have had time to cook, add zucchini, string beans, mushrooms, garlic, and drained rinsed beans.
- Simmer until all veggies are tender.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
I did leave out the mushrooms (personal preference) but followed the rest of the recipe closely. This is a great and versatile recipe for using up odds and ends from my other PAC recipes! If you have a little more or less than called for, the soup is still very tasty. Made for PAC Spring 08. Thanks for posting BxChick.