Recipe by carole in orlando
Aunt Janet's spinach salad has never failed me when I took it to a potluck dinner. It gets rave reviews, and is so simple to make. If you are in a hurry you can substitute Catalina dressing for the homemade.
Top Review by Audrey M
I have made this recipe for years. I got it from a friend who was in a gourmet group with me. It is simple to put together but a very elegant recipe. I make it every Easter when we get together with a group of friends. I would suggest making the dressing the day before and let the flavors marinate together. Also, don't pour the dressing on until you are ready to serve it. The spinach will wilt quicker and the flavor of the dressing will over power the salad.
- 2 (6 ounce) packages baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups bean sprouts, washed
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts
- 1⁄3 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup salad oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Dressing: Put all ingredients in a container with a tight fitting lid, shake well and store in the refrigerator overnight to blend the flavors In a large salad bowl mix all the fresh ingredients.
- Slice the eggs and mix half in the salad.
- Add the dressing, as much as you desire, and mix well.
- Add the remaining egg slices on the top and sprinkle with bacon bits.
- Serve immediately.
- This makes a large amount, but it goes fast once people taste it!