Prep 40 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe is from Bill's mother, and is one of his favorites.
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 1⁄2 ounces flaked coconut
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sifted flour
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Cookie Crust: In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking powder. Add to butter/sugar mixture. (The original directions specify that the butter and sugar should be creamed together with a wooden spoon, by hand; and the flour mixture should also be worked in by hand. I don't do that -- I use my Kitchenaid mixer).
- Pat into bottom of a 13 x 9 pan. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire rack.
- Filling: In a small bowl, beat eggs until light with an electric mixer. Gradually beat in sugar. Add vanilla, flour, salt, and baking powder; beating just until combined.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Spread evenly over cooled crust.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch. Cool slightly. Cut into bars while still warm.