Recipe by JRM #2
I created this recipe by experimenting first with the Copy Cat Lara Bar found here at Recipezaar by vigilant20 #347784, but the ratio of 1 cup dates to 3 cups nuts didn't hold together for me. This recipe will be divided in half in order to make two differently flavored bars! I have listed "Cherry Coconut" and "Oatmeal Cookie Dough". I like to have texture in my Lara Bars, and if you do too, make sure you don't put ALL the nuts into your food processor at the same time!
- 2 cups pitted dates, separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups cashews, soaked for two hours separated
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, soaked for two hours separated
- 2 tablespoons flax seeds
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄3 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Equipment: Food processor or blender, cutting board and chopping knife, 2 medium sized bowls, measuring cup and spoons, waxed paper or parchment paper.
- Soak nuts for two to three hours.
- Put 1 cup of dates, 1 cup of cashews and 1 cup of walnuts into a bowl and mix them together.
- Chop and grind them in your food processor in batches. Get the mixture to a meal like consistency and return to bowl.
- On your cutting board coarsely chop the remaining nuts and add to the bowl.
- In the food processor, grind your remaining one cup of pitted dates to a paste; add to the bowl.
- Add flax and hemp seeds to bowl with nuts and dates and mix together well.
- Divide Date/ Nut mixture equally into two bowls.
- Into one bowl mix your shredded coconut and dried cherries. If you are using un-sweetened coconut, you may want to add some maple syrup or agave nectar, one tablespoon at a time, to your taste.
- Add the remaining three ingredients to the other bowl and mix well.
- Turn each mixture out onto a longish piece of waxed paper and form into a long rectangle about four inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
- Wrap up in the waxed paper and refrigerate four a couple of hours before cutting off your first bar.