Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is addicting
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup boiling water
- 3 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 10 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons salt
- Dissolve yeast and 1 T. Sugar in 1 cup warm water.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine shortening, salt, sugar, and boiling water.
- Mix together until shortening is dissolved.
- Add 2 1/2 cups of additional warm water.
- Now add the yeast mixture, and blend thoroughly.
- in large bowl.
- Next add 6 cups of flour, gradually mixing until dough can no longer be mixed.
- Knead dough for 20 minutes, continuing to add the remaining flour until the dough becomes soft and is no longer sticky.
- Let rise for 2 hours.
- Place dough in 4 bread pans.
- Cover with a heavy cloth, and let rise for an additional two hours.
- Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.