Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Traditional Swedish bar cookie type treat, ready to enjoy in 30 minutes with a cup of coffee. I like to substitute pecans but thats a personal preference.
- 1 cup butter (no substitutes)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Mix butter, sugar and egg yolk.
- In separate bowl, mix flour and cinnamon.
- Stir into the butter mixture.
- Pat the batter into a greased 9x13 pan.
- Sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Cut immediately into bars.
First made these for "Heritage Day" in elementary school. I remember loving the simple flavor with cinnamon and nuts. I've since lost that recipe and was happy to find this one. Tastes the same as my memory. I believe that recipe instructed the bars to be cut into diamond shapes, so I carried that through with this version. Yum!
Wow, this recipe is wonderful and something to write home about, well if I wasn't home it would be. Thanks Laurie for such a wonderful recipe. I used black walnuts and as I say it was wonderful.