Prep 2 hrs 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This tasty bread is not too sweet and goes great with your morning coffee! Delicious plain, with a little cream cheese, toasted with butter, or made into French toast. Created for the ZWT9 Coffee Challenge....
- 236.59 ml strong coffee (quality blend and brewed double strength)
- 29.58 ml orange juice
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 11.09 ml yeast (1 packet)
- 44.37 ml yogurt (I used Greek)
- 1 egg
- 946.36 ml flour
- 14.79 ml cocoa powder
- 3.69 ml cinnamon
- Warm the coffee to about 100 degrees (30 seconds or so in the microwave but don't make it too hot).
- Put the warm coffee, orange juice, sugar, and salt into a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir together, then sprinkle the yeast on top.
- Add the yogurt, egg, flour, cocoa powder and cinnamon. By hand, mix well and knead for 10 minutes OR knead with the dough hook of the mixer for 5 minutes.
- With the oven off, place the bowl of dough on the middle rack. On the rack below, put a bowl of hot water. Cover the dough bowl with towel. Leave in closed oven for 1 hour, until the dough has risen double in size.
- Spray your loaf pan with cooking spray. Put the dough on a floured cutting board and knead two or three times. Press the dough into a rectangle that is as long as your loaf pan and twice as wide. Roll the dough into a tube and place seam side down in the loaf pan, pressing lightly so the dough fills the pan.
- Allow to rise again for 1 hour, using the same method as the first rise.
- Remove the dough from the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Bake the bread for 5 minutes at 400 degrees, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 30 minutes. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 2 minutes, then remove and place on a wire rack to cool.
Great bread! It came out perfectly and is nicely perfumed with the scent of both coffee and cinnamon. I especially loved the method for rising. My mediocre bread-making skills actually excelled here!
Nice, light, flavorful bread. I cut the recipe in half and used bread flour; threw everything in the bread machine on time delay in the evening and woke to fresh, warm, fragrant bread. Made for ZWT9.