Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
for all those people who are obssesed with jam as i am this if you! If i was a biscuit i would be a jammy dodger, to the non british here on recipezaar a jammy dodger is 2 small round shortcakes sandwiched together with jam in the middle the top biscuit has a hole in the middle so you can see the jam. i love them. and when i found minis of jammy dogers i knew they needed to be used in cupcakes. i trialed them with a non vegan cake and it didnt go so well, so although a jammy dodger isnt vegan the cupcake is, this is the basic cupcake recipe from vegan cupcakes take over the world. the custard is made from birds custard powder and i microwaved it as i lazy. If you cant get custard powder i would use vanilla buttercream instead of the custard.
- 1 cup soymilk
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil (or sunflower)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons custard powder (birds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1⁄2 pint milk
- 200 g jam (raspeberry is preferred)
- 20 shortcake biscuits (mini jammy dodgers)
- preheat oven to gas mark 4 350 degrees,
- add the vinegar to the soy milk and put to one side to curdle.
- sift the flour cornflour, baking powder and baking soda togther.
- in a seperate bowl or jug whisk togther the soy milk mixture, sugar, vanilla essence and oil until foamy.
- add wet to dry ingredients and stir gently until no large lumps remain small ones are ok.
- pour into cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-25 min until golden.
- take out and leave to cool.
- The Custard.
- in a small bowl mix 1 tablespoon of the milk with the custard powder to form a paste add the remaining milk sugar and vanilla and mix throroughly.
- place in micorwave on high heat for 4 minutes half way through give stir, the custard should be pretty thick and gloopy, this mixture is going to be piped so you use your head add more milk or more custard powder to thicken or lessen.
- taste it to ensure sweet/ vanilla enough if thick enough and ok set to one side to cool covered so a skin doesnt form.
- use the handle end of a teaspoon to make hole in the centre of each cupcake, put you finger into the hole and push around the bottom and the edges inside the cake to make the hole a bit bigger.
- using a pastry bag with a thin long nozzle and squeeze jam into the hole dont be stingy with it, i like to put a good blob inches.
- rinse out pastry bag and refill with custard and a star shaped nozzle, on the top of each cupcake swirl the custard over the jam hole, repeat over all your cakes.
- if serving immediatley then place a mini jam doger on top of the custard mountain, is serving later dont put the jammy dodger on until just before you serve or it will go soft.