Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook by Robin Robertson
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their juices
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh marjoram, minced
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 8 ounces vegetarian sausage links or 8 ounces vegan sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark red kidney beans, cooked and drained or 1 1⁄2 cups dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- hot cooked long-grain rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic; cover and cook, stirring a few times, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, marjoram, Tabasco, salt, and water; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetarian or vegan sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned all over, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sausage to the tomato mixture, along with the beans and parsley. Cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, to heat through, adding more water if the jambalaya becomes too dry.
- Serve over hot rice.
Excellent. I omitted the celery and used a little more pepper. My spices were dried (and I forgot the parsely). I used gimme lean sausage style and, instead of putting some in the fridge, used the whole 14 oz package. This was tasty and hearty served with rice. Everyone enjoyed it, which is always nice with a healthy recipe!
Made this for the "Three Chefs Cooking Event". Sure glad I picked this as it was enjoyed by five of us as the main dish. I did have to make two changes though, the thyme and marjoram was dried instead of fresh. The other thing was since I had never used the vegetarian sausage before, I fried out a piece first...I really did not like it, so in its place,I used Eggplant Meatballs Eggplant (Aubergine) Meatballs. It really turned out wonderful. I forgot...I also used only one cup of water and one cup of homemade vegetable broth. This is a "sure to repeat" recipe.