Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
I had to post this dough recipe separate because it's now my favorite dough. Use for all your pies and pizza's.
- 1 (7 g) packet dry active yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm milk
- Dissolve the sugar in the ¼ cup water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let ferment and bubble.
- In a large bowl combine the yeast, flour, salt, olive oil, egg, and warm milk. Knead until a soft dough is formed. Dough will be slightly sticky, so always make sure your hands have a little olive oil on them.
- Lightly grease the same bowl with olive oil. Return the dough to the bowl, cover with a clean cloth and leave in a warm dry place for at least 2 hours, until doubled.
This really is the best dough recipe I have come across, and the only one I plan to use for now on. It is very simple to make, even for a hopeless bread maker like myself! The dough turns out soft and delicious. It will make all your favorite recipes which require dough even better.
Jameela I love you. Best dough ever. EVER. My husband loves manaeesh zaatar. Tried many and then lost hope. Yesterday as my husband was bringing zaatar manaeesh from different bakeries trying to find the best, I took it upon myself to go online and try again to find a recipe. I thought your recipe was new, so I decided to try it. Oh boy, oh boy, I am so glad I did. My husband ate 3 manaeesh and said I never ate this amount before. The manoosheh is so light. I prepared the dough last night. Left it in the fridge overnight. Took it out of the fridge at 6am, started heating oven and preparing for baking at 8am.
6 stars! Said to be soft and delicious. I'm gluten free so I couldn't try it but MIL, my own mother, sister and DD1 (4 years old) said the spinach fatayer I made with this was delicious. I agree with UmmIbrahim this is fool proof dough. Next time I will put it in a very, very low oven 78F max to rise the whole time. I rose it for 2 hours part of that time in the oven and the other part in a warm kitchen. It was a gift for MIL which she had fresh warm from the oven :) I added sea salt, to taste (probably about the same amount called for) & diluted Carnation evaporated milk as that was the only dairy milk I had on hand, plus the rest of the ingredients. Now I wan't to make a ton of different items with this dough. I will most definitely use this recipe again. Made for Let's go to Jordan & Kuwait this August 2012! For Jordan.