Recipe by English_Rose
A Jamie Oliver recipe. This soup is ideal for spring weather when you want something warm and filling but not hot and stodgy! Veg can be subbed for whats available, it is very versatile.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
Great soup. I found the amounts of some ingredients abit confusing (1 cabbage?) so I used my best guess to adjust some. For 28 oz tomatoes & 3 1/2 broth I only added 2 carrots, 1 leek, 3 celery & 1 red onion. I added about 2 cups of shredded cabbage & only 5 oz pasta (used canneroni, as short tubular pasta also called ditali). Once I added everything I found it lacked liquid so I added another cup of broth & tomatoes. Tasted great in the end, thanks for sharing.
- 2 (14 ounce) cansgood quality chopped tomatoes, drained
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped finely
- 2 leeks, chopped finely
- 5 stalks celery, chopped finely
- 2 red onions, peeled and chopped finely
- 1 cabbage, shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cups ham stock (veg if making it veggie)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, ripped into rough pieces
- 6 ounces spaghetti, broken into short lengths
- salt and pepper
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the oil into a large pan and gently ccok the carrots, leeks, celery, onion, garlic and rosemary over a medium heat until just tender (about 15 minutes).
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes, skimming if necessary.
- Add cabbage, cover pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add ripped basil and pasta and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with freshly grated parmesan.
- Note for vegetarian option omit the ham stock and use the vegetable stock/broth.