Recipe by Karen Elizabeth
I was given 'Happy Days With The Naked Chef' and found that I enjoy Jamies style, he can be relied on for sensible recipes that work. I decided to try his Chilli Con Carne for my son and husband one weekend when the girls were away. Good comfort food, served over rice, DH found this spicy while I thought it could be pepped up a little more (sometimes I surprise myself!!).... adjust for your own taste! Jamie recommends chuck steak, minced, but I used ground beef that I had in the freezer. I don't think the sun-dried tomatoes are traditional, but they are a nice touch! This dish is ideal for make-ahead, and definitely tastes even better the next day!
Top Review by Cook4_6
My family absolutely loved this chili recipe. It was different than most, mild enough for the little ones, and had a great depth of flavor for the adults. I cheated by using a jar on sundried tomato pesto I had on hand, and by only cooking it for an hour. I bet it will be even better reheated as leftovers! It was delicious!
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 red chili, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 500 g minced beef
- 200 g sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 2 (400 g) canstinned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 stick cinnamon
- 1 cup water
- 2 (400 g) cans red kidney beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, fry onions and garlic in a little olive oil until soft.
- Add chilli powder, fresh chilli, cumin and a little seasoning. Then add the meat and continue to cook, stirring, until it has browned.
- Process the sun-dried tomatoes in your food processor, with a little oil from the jar, enough to loosen into a paste.
- Add these to the beef with the tomatoes, cinnamon stick, and the water. Check the seasoning, and add more if you prefer.
- Bring to the boil, cover, turn the heat down and simmer for about 1 and a half hours.
- Add the kidney beans about 1/2 an hour before serving, they are already cooked and only need to be warmed through.
- Serving suggestions, steamed rice, crusty bread, a tossed salad, some guacamole or/and sour cream/yoghurt.