1/1 Photo of Jamie Oliver's World's Best Baked Onions
bluemoon downunder's Note:
I found this recipe on The Splendid Table website. What I am posting here is an adaptation of the adaptation I found there of a recipe for Baked Onions from 'Happy Days with the Naked Chef' by Jamie Oliver. Sounds well-worth trying. Baked onions are a great accompaniment to roasts. To significantly reduce the fat content, use a low-fat or reduced fat cream.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Boil the onions in plenty of water for 15 minutes or until slightly tender.
- 2Remove the onions from the pan and allow to cool.
- 3With a sharp knife, remove the top inch of each onion, finely chop and place to one side.
- 4Slightly trim the stalk end of the onions so that the onions will sit flat on a roasting tray.
- 5Taking care to keep the outside of each onion intact, cut about a heaped tablespoon of onion out from the inside of each onion.
- 6Finely chop these removed sections of the onion and add to the rest of the chopped onion.
- 7Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 8Heat a saute pan and add a little olive oil, the garlic, the chopped onions, and just a little of the chopped rosemary.
- 9Saute for a couple of minutes until the garlic and onion have softened, then turn the heat down, add the cream and remove the onions and garlic from the heat.
- 10Stir in the Parmesan and season.
- 11Wrap a slice of pancetta around the middle of each onion and spike it in place with a sharpened twig of rosemary or a wooden toothpick.
- 12Place the onions on a roasting tray and spoon some of the chopped onion mixture inside each one.
- 13Bake in the preheated oven for around 25 minutes until the onions are soft and tender.
- 14How long this takes is, of course, dependent on the size of the onions. "It's cool to experiment with different cheeses, so give it a bash," says Jamie.
- 15I presume he is suggesting topping the baked onions with cheese.
- 16When the onions are cooked right through, remove and serve.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamie Oliver's World's Best Baked Onions
Serving Size: 1 (71 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 101.2
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 27.4 mg
- Sodium 9.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: