Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I saw this on Jamie Oliver's naked chef and just had to post it on here to see the nutritional content of this, being on a calorie controlled diet! Fingers crossed!!
- 150 g almonds, peeled
- 150 g walnuts, finely ground
- 300 g dark chocolate
- 4.92 ml cocoa powder, heaped
- 255 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 6 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 190c/375f/Gas 5.
- Line the bottom of a 20 or 25cm/8 or 10" tin with a piece of greaseproof paper before buttering the bottom and sides, then dusting with flour.
- Place the nuts into a food processor and whizz up until finely ground.
- Add the chocolate and cocoa, and whizz for 30 seconds to break up the chocolate.
- Put to one side in a separate bowl.
- Add the butter and sugar to the food processor and beat until pale and fluffy.
- At this point, add the egg yolks one at a time, then mix together with the chocolate and nuts.
- In another bowl beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt, until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the chocolate, butter and nut mix.
- Pour all the mixture into the tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for around an hour.
- To test if the torte is cooked, insert a cocktail stick or the tip of a knife for five seconds.
- When removed, it should be reasonably clean.
- Serve with whipped cream, ice-cream or creme fraiche.
This is an excellent torte/cake. Every time I make this torte, I get compliments and requests for the recipe. It has just the right amount of sweetness and nutty crunch to it that it's hard to stop eating it. I sometimes decrease the butter to 225 grams/1 cup and make it a day in advance. Otherwise, it has a very eggy taste to it.