Chef Jean's Note:
This recipe is on Jamie Oliver's website. Spices sweet potatoes wrapped in crispy phyllo pastry.Cooking time does not include cooking the sweet potatoes which can be done well in advance. Posted for ZWT9.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus a little extra
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
- 150 g butter
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1 bunch fresh watercress
- 1 bunch fresh mint, leaves picked
- 1 bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked
- 4 tablespoons fat-free natural yoghurt
- 3 lemons (1 juiced, 2 cut in half)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch ground cumin
- 1Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/gas 6. Wash the sweet potatoes and bake them, in their skins, in the preheated oven until cooked and soft. Allow to cool (leaving the oven on), then peel and mash them.
- 2Bash up 1 teaspoon of the coriander seeds and the chillies in a pestle and mortar. Stir with the cinnamon into the mashed sweet potato and season well. Fold the spring onions and beaten egg into the mashed potato.
- 3Gently melt the butter in a pan. Bash up the remaining coriander seeds. Brush a sheet of filo with some melted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of ground cinnamon and a little of the ground coriander. Cover with the second sheet, and brush and sprinkle as before. Repeat for the third sheet. With a sharp knife, cut the stacked filo sheets into two 15cm squares.
- 4Working quickly to prevent the pastry from drying, do the same with the remaining filo sheets. You should now have four squares of filo. Place a generous tablespoon of the sweet potato mixture in the centre of each square and spread out slightly. Brush the edges of each square with water and fold in half, corner to corner, to make a triangle. Press down at the edges to seal. Brush both sides of each triangle with the rest of the melted butter, place on a baking tray and bake in the preheated oven until light brown - this will take about 10 minutes.
- 5Mix the red onion with the watercress, mint and parsley. Mix the yoghurt with the lemon juice, a lug of olive oil and the cumin. Dress the salad with the yoghurt dressing and serve with the hot filo briks and the lemon halves.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamie Oliver's Tunisian Brik (Phyllo With Sweet Potatoes)
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 474.0
- Calories from Fat 306
- Total Fat 34.0 g
- Saturated Fat 20.3 g
- Cholesterol 128.5 mg
- Sodium 472.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
fresh flat-leaf parsley