Recipe by Baz
Picked this recipe card up in Sainsbury's in the UK in 2008, from Jamie Oliver's "Feed Your Family For A Fiver" series. Added some extra ingredients to make it more authentic and interesting.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 500 g minced beef
- 400 g chopped tomatoes
- 400 g red kidney beans in chili sauce
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 250 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion with garlic in non-stick fry pan or wok over medium heat until it softens.
- Add minced beef and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon so there are no lumps.
- Add chopped tomatoes, red kidney beans, red wine, mushrooms, cumin, oregano and chilli powder (if using), stir and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 25 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Serve over long grain rice.