I first had this served to me a few years back when Jamie Oliver was just becoming known in the UK. I didn't think it would be good but I found it really tasty and very refreshing. Now I love serving it up to people that haven't tried it. It is best to serve this as soon as possible because it tastes its best when it is fresh and not sitting around.
- Core the pineapple and cut it into quarters.
- Thinly slice of bits of the quarters. Make your slices as thin as possible.
- Arrange the slices on a plate in one or two layers. I tend to go for one.
- Put the sugar into a mortar and pestle and then add the mint leaves.
- Jamie then says to 'bash the heck out of it' until the color of the sugar changes to a greenish color. I find it smells really nice at this point.
- Sprinkle the sugar over the top of the pineapple slices and serve.