Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a cool meatball recipe. A little spicy, but still a classic meatball. I have cheated and used canned sauce sometimes, but definately don't skip the fresh basil and mozzerella.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 6 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- fresh basil
- 2 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- In a large bown, mix together beef and pork.
- In a food processor, process the bread into crumbs, add to meat mixture.
- Add seasonings and egg, mix well.
- With wet hands roll mixture into balls.
- Warm a large saute pan over med. high heat.
- Add 3-4 tablespoons oil to the pan.
- Fry the meatballs until nicely browned on all sides.
- Transfer to a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Chop onion and saute with garlic in 1 tbsp oil.
- Add tomatoes and about 1/2 cup torn basil and simmer 10 minutes.
- Pour over meatballs.
- Top with mozzerella and parmesan.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake until cheese is golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook spaghetti according to package, and drain.
- Serve meatballs with spaghetti.
Easy and great balance of flavors. We love JO's recipes!