Prep 5 mins
Cook 12 mins
Jamie Oliver via Toronto's STAR newspaper. Serve with vanilla icecream, whipped cream, or yogurt cheese sweetened with a little maple syrup.(I liked my still-warm plums, nectarines and bananas with just a drizzle of brandy over-the-top.)
- 1 vanilla pod, cut in quarters
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 lbs mixed fresh tender fruit (e.g. plums, nectarines, peaches, figs, apricots, strawberries, firm bananas)
- Preheat oven to 425*F Using a food processor, combine vanilla pod and sugar.
- Wash fruit.
- Halve and remove pits from plums, nectarines, peaches and apricots, if using, and peel bananas and cut into chunks.
- Place fruit in a single layer on baking sheet (s).
- Sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of vanilla sugar.
- (Store leftover vanilla sugar in an airtight container.) Bake fruit 10-15 minutes, or until fruit is soft but still holds its shape.
- Serves 8-10.