Recipe by Chesska
I've posted a version of this same recipe but with dumplings. I wanted to add the stew alone so that the nutrition info would be calculated without the dumplings in case anyone needed that. :)
- 2 lbs stewing beef, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, chopped
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 (15 ounce) can Guinness stout
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large dutch oven, heat some olive oil over medium heat. Toss the meat cubes with the 1 ½ tbsp of flour, and then in batches, brown them until seared. Remove to plate as you go.
- Add more oil if you need to, then add the celery, onion, and garlic. Cook and stir until the vegetables are soft. Add the thyme and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms, bay leaves, broth, tomato paste, and Guinness; bring to a boil, then cover and put into the oven.
- Let the stew bubble away in the oven for two hours.