Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I watched Jamie Deen prepare this on Paula's Party and it looks delicious! Besides, cooking with liquor is one of my favorite things to do :) UPDATE: I made this yesterday and I really couldn't taste the rum at all so I think I would add a little more rum and a little less water next time.
- 1 prepared pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup light rum
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- whipped cream, for garnish
- powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crust.
- Roll pastry into a 12-inch circle.
- Press pie crust into a 9-inch deep dish pie plate, crimping edges, if desired.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar and eggs at medium speed with an electric mixer until well combined.
- Add evaporated milk, water, rum and salt.
- Beat at low speed until combined.
- Pour mixture into crust.
- Sprinkle top of pie with nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Place pie onto a rimmed baking pan with a depth of 1/2-inch.
- Add hot water to baking sheet coming halfway up the pie plate. Be careful not to get any water in the pie itself.
- Bake for about 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Garnish with whipped cream and powdered sugar if desired.
this was pretty good. i'm not sure what i expected, but it didn't just blow my socks off. THAT BEING SAID, it is still really yummy and easy. i used 3/4 c water and instead of the 1/4 c rum i used 2 1/2 t rum flavoring. i could taste the "rum" quite well. besides, what would eggnog be without rum??
I cooked this for all my neighbors for xmas and it was a hit. I left out the rum and substituted water instead.