Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is from Savannah Country Cooking, Paula Deen's first cookbook. Her sons, Jamie and Bobby also have some killer recipes. This one is actually served in the restaurant, The Lady and Sons.
- 1 (2 -3 lb) roasting chickens
- salt and pepper
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons crazy salt (Jane's Krazy Mixed-up Salt)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons chicken stock
- Place the "Chicken" ingredients in a large stockpot with water to cover.
- Boil the chicken until tender; Reserve stock.
- Remove the chicken from the pot.
- Cool; remove skin, bones, and meat.
- Dice the chicken and stir together with the "Salad" ingredients and mix well.
I also cheated a bit and used a store bought rotisserie chicken but followed the remainder of the recipe. Delicious as is! But the next day - I decided to add some fresh cilantro to the salad and that was even better!!
Easy to make. I made plenty of it and froze some of it also.
It works great for taking on a picnic!
Delicious! I made this for my parents, DH and I and we licked the platter clean. I did use a rotisserie chicken but otherwise followed the instructions. Will be using this quite often in the warm summer days. Made for Zaar Cookbook Tag game 2011.