2 hrs 10 mins
1 hr 10 mins
From The Chew. Posted for safe keeping. Prep time includes time fridge and time to come to room temp.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter (for greasing pan)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian turkey sausage (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 lb French bread (rustic loaf, cut into 1-inch-thick cubes) or 1 lb Italian bread (rustic loaf, cut into 1-inch-thick cubes)
- 2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh chives, plus more (to garnish, sliced)
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Butter a 4-quart baking dish.
- 2In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the sausage, onions and bell peppers. Cook, while stirring, until the sausage is cooked through and crumbly and the onions and peppers are soft, about 6 minutes.
- 3Add the bread to the prepared baking dish. Stir in the sausage and pepper mixture and the cheese, reserving a bit of cheese for the top.
- 4In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cream, chives and some salt and pepper. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread and give a little stir to make sure it's evenly distributed. Sprinkle with the reserved cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and let soak for 30 minutes.
- 5Remove the casserole from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 6Bake until the top is puffed and golden and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Garnish with more chopped chives before serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jamie Deen's Breakfast Bake
Serving Size: 1 (299 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 583.7
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33.0 g
- Saturated Fat 16.9 g
- Cholesterol 246.1 mg
- Sodium 1000.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 40.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 30.8 g