Recipe by grandma2969
This is the cookie that is served on October 7,James Whitcomb Rileys birthday to any who come to visit his home on Lockerbie Street in Indianapolis..this was his very favorite cookie recipe...this is the recipe they use
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large mixer bowl, cream the margarine.
- slowly add the 1 1/2 cups sugar, then the eggs.
- mix in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt -- and gradually add to the creamed mixture.
- chill the dough overnight.
- combine the remaining sugar and the cinnamon on a small plate.
- divide the dough in half, keeping one half refrigerated until needed.
- shape the dough into balls the size of walnuts, and roll the balls in cinnamon sugar.
- place 2" apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake just until golden.check the bottoms to make sure they are not getting too brown -- about 8 minutes.
- the cookies will puff up first, then flatten out with crinkles tops --
- cool on rack and store in a tightly covered container.