Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe is from British celebrity chef James Martin who is particularly well known for his baking and sweets recipes.
- 8 ounces caster sugar
- 5 ounces plain flour, plus extra
- plain flour, for dusting
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter, for greasing
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Place the caster sugar, flour and eggs into a bowl and whisk together to make a thick smooth batter.
- Grease and flour a deep baking dish and arrange all the apple slices to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Spoon the batter mixture over the top and transfer to the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes. (To check if the sponge is ready, insert a skewer into the top of the sponge, if it comes out sticky, return to the oven to cook for another 5 minutes.).