Recipe by Kim D.
James Coney Island is a famous hotdog restaurant here in Texas. My family loves their hotdogs and chili, so I found this recipe at copykat.com to try and re-create their chili at home. While I don't think it is the exact recipe, I do think it comes pretty close!
Top Review by p00gJr
I love James Coney Island so much, and this chili recipe is even better than what they serve! I made 2 changes because I wanted it to be thick. I used less liquid, I just did the 2 cans of tomatoes blended, 1 can of beef broth, and substituted 1 beer for the water. Also, for the thickening agent, I only used 3/4 cup of water, and about twice as much flour (I used corn meal as well). Again though, it was delicious!!!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs chuck steaks (tenderized and diced finely)
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef broth
- 5 1⁄4 cans water
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cans whole tomatoes, with the juice (food process,strain seeds and pulp, measure two cups for Chili, save remainder for another recipe)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon season salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon msg (optional)
- 5 tablespoons saltine crumbs (finely ground)
- 4 tablespoons mesa flour
- 1 -1 1⁄4 cup water (use enough water with dry ingredients to mix into a medium thick, smooth sauce)