Recipe by Cooking Beast
A delightful cheesecake; it's the perfect balance between sour cream and cream cheese. Creamy and tasty. You're sure to like this. From The New James Beard (1981).
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄4 sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- lemon, juice and zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1 1/2 cups of graham cracker crumbs with sugar and butter. Press into bottom and sides of a lightly buttered 10-inch springform pan. Set aside.
- Beat the cheese until soft and creamy. Add sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Blend in egg yolks one at a time.
- Add the sour cream, vanilla, flour, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Stir in one-third of whites into cheese mixture. Then fold the remaining whites in gently.
- Pour the cheese mixture into the prepared crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for one hour. Turn off the heat and allow the cheesecake to sit in the oven for one more hour.
- Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Sprinkle the remaining crumbs on top of the cake.
- Chill over night. Dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving, if desired.