Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
I offer a Kosher and non-Kosher version of this recipe. People in Turlock beg for this recipe not realizing it was from James Beard.
- 2 lbs chicken fat (non kosher use butter)
- 4 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken livers
- salt and pepper
- If using the real thing.
- Chop the chicken fat into small dice add 1/4 cup minced finely chopped and render in a heavy skillet until the cracklings begin to brown.
- If not Kosher melt the butter.
- In a heavy pot put the balance of the onions and 4 and 4 Tbsp of the chicken fat or butter.
- Cook until slightly colored and pepper to taste.
- Sauté the livers in the remaining fat until just cooked through.
- Remove and chop finely.
- Toss with the mixture of onions, fat and cracklings.
- Correct seasonings.
- Chill and serve.