1 hr 35 mins
In 'Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Slow Cooking'
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, about 10 oz total weight
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into large pieces (4-6 oz. each)
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- fresh ground black pepper
- 6 ounces smoked ham, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- cayenne pepper, a pinch (to taste)
- 1In a large frying pan over med-high heat, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- 2Add the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes per side.
- 3Remove from the pan and set aside.
- 4Add the chicken pieces and saute until browned, about 5 minutes.
- 5Remove from the pan and set aside with the shrimp.
- 6Cover and refrigerate until needed.
- 7Warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in the pan over med-high heat.
- 8Add the onion, bell pepper, and celery, and saute until softened but not browned, about 5 minutes.
- 9Add the garlic and jalapeno and cook for 1 minute.
- 10To cook in oven--preheat oven to 350°; transfer the onion mixture to a large Dutch oven.
- 11Stir in the tomatoes, rice, broth, and a pinch of salt.
- 12Cover and cook in the oven until the rice is tender , about 45 minutes.
- 13Add the shrimp, chicken, ham, paprika, thyme, and cayenne.
- 14Stir well, cover, and let stand until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- 15Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 16To cook in slow cooker--Transfer the onion mixture to a slow cooker; stir in tomatoes, rice, broth, and a pinch of salt.
- 17Cover and cook until the rice is tender, 3 hours on LOW.
- 18Add the shrimp, chicken, ham, paprika, thyme, and cayenne.
- 19Stir well, cover, turn off the cooker, and let stand until warmed through, about 5 minutes.
- 20Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 21Spoon into warmed bowls and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya With Shrimp, Chicken, and Ham
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 354.1
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 70.0 mg
- Sodium 869.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 21.3 g