Recipe by Cucina Casalingo
This Creole rice dish is a quick, lower fat version of an old favorite. There's a lot of room for creativity here.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup cooked ham, cut into strips
- 2 cups peeled and diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 3 cups hot chicken broth
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Stir in onions, garlic, and ham; cook and stir until onion is soft.
- Stir in tomatoes, and cook for 5 minutes. Mix in oregano or basil, rice, and broth.
- Cover, and simmer until just a little liquid remains.
- Add shrimp, and stir to evenly distribute.
- Cook for 8 minutes, or until rice is cooked and shrimp turns pink.