Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Rice Cooker version of Jambalaya was adapted from a recipe from The 100 Greatest Dishes of Louisiana Cookery. I made quite a number of changes from the original recipe according to my family's tastes, ingredient availability and cooking method in order to cook it in a rice cooker.
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs smoked sausage, sliced (I use Kielbasa)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 package frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup mild salsa (optional) or 1 cup canned tomato (optional)
- 3 cups rice, uncooked
- In large frying pan, heat the oil and saute onions, sausage and bell pepper.
- Cook until sausage is cooked and onion and pepper is tender.
- Add chopped tomato and garlic to pan.
- Saute until cooked.
- In rice cooker, put in 3 cups of rice (use measure cup that comes with rice cooker), enough water to reach the Paella or Sweet rice level marked on rice cooker (I use the Sweet level) sausage and vegetables, pkg of frozen vegetables, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, black pepper, and salsa if desired.
- Press the select and cooking button according to rice cooker instructions.
- To cook in skillet instead of rice cooker: after vegetables are cooked add tomatoes, spices and 1 1/2 quart water or stock.
- Bring to boil.
- Add rice, bring to boil and reduce to simmer.
- Cover and simmer for about 25-35 minutes or until all liquid is aborbed and rice is somewhat dry and not sticky.
My ricer couldn`t handle it all so I made it on the stove. This is a quick jambalaya. I added 1 teaspoon saffron, 20 medium shrimp, hot pepper (habanaro)flakes. The package of vegetables was 1 pound. I used medium salsa. We like it hot. I think this would have been much better if you add the vegetables after the rice is cooked just to heat them. Adding them at step 7 just made them to mushy. Or even better using all fresh instead of frozen would make this a 5 star recipe.
This was a simple and quick dinner to make. Used the rice cooker to cook the rice and frozen vegetables. Added them to the skillet of sauted vegetables and smoked sausage. This was very good and flavorful. My family really enjoyed it. Made for ZWT 5, Sultans of Spice
I printed out a different recipe but ended up preparing it similar to this one. If preparing this in the rice cooker, remember to saute the onion, sausage, and pepper in the rice cooker bowl before adding the rest of the ingredients. I added 3/4 cup chopped celery, and used 2 rice cooker cups of rice, 1 can of tomatoes and two regular measuring cups of water. I didn't use the frozen veggies, I think they would get soggy. Maybe instead I would add a can of corn near the end or serve with a veggie on the side. This is a good recipe and makes great leftovers.