Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Had this for the first time at a dinner party, now I HAVE to make it every month or so. It's better if you have the sausage, chicken and shrimp prepared before starting, that way you can dig in once the rice is cooked.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup sliced celery (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb cooked smoked sausage, 1/2 inch pieces (I like to use Hillshire Farms Hot Links)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup garlic flavored barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, diced and cooked (brown in frying pan)
- 1⁄2-1 lb medium shrimp, steamed,peeled and deveined
- Brown smoked sausage and drain excess grease.
- Set aside along with pre-cooked shrimp and chicken.
- Fry bacon until crisp in 3-quart Dutch oven or large deep skillet.
- Do not drain.
- Stir in celery, rice, onion, garlic and green pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, sausage, water, barbecue sauce, salt and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and shrimp, allow to simmer another 10 minutes until heated.
Holy Shomoly....what an awesome recipe!!! I gobbled down 2 bowl fulls. This was my first time making jambalaya from scratch. All the chopping was a little time consuming, but well worth it all. Even my son said this recipe was a definate keeper. It was a little spicy for his taste, but I thought it was perfect, just enough to give it a kick, but not so much you are rushing around to find a drink. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I won't go back to the boxed kind again.
J--this is delicious! Very easy, the work is in the prep. Get that done first,and then get ready to go. I left out the celery, only because you said you did, and I wan't in a celery mood, lol. I wasn't entirely sure about the bbq sauce, but you know...it's perfect in this! It adds a subtle smoky flavor that goes well with the other ingredients. We absolutely loved it J, and will be making it again. Thanks! (OK tt, now you don't have to be afraid to try it :P)
This was a big hit at our house! We didn't add the bacon, chicken or shrimp. Only had chipotle bbq sauce and it still turned out great!