Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Had this for the first time at a dinner party, now I HAVE to make it every month or so. It's better if you have the sausage, chicken and shrimp prepared before starting, that way you can dig in once the rice is cooked.
- 6 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 cup long-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup sliced celery (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lb cooked smoked sausage, 1/2 inch pieces (I like to use Hillshire Farms Hot Links)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup garlic flavored barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, diced and cooked (brown in frying pan)
- 1⁄2-1 lb medium shrimp, steamed,peeled and deveined
- Brown smoked sausage and drain excess grease.
- Set aside along with pre-cooked shrimp and chicken.
- Fry bacon until crisp in 3-quart Dutch oven or large deep skillet.
- Do not drain.
- Stir in celery, rice, onion, garlic and green pepper.
- Cook and stir over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce, sausage, water, barbecue sauce, salt and cayenne.
- Bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and shrimp, allow to simmer another 10 minutes until heated.