Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This stuffing is meant to be served with Creole Roast Turkey. Half the stuffing is cooked in the turkey, the remainder is baked separately. If you prefer to cook all the stuffing separately, use a 4 qt. casserole dish. Originally from a November 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Creole Thanksgiving" article.
Top Review by mersaydees
Made this on Thanksgiving to go with recipe #337906 from the same Bon Appetit article. I loved it, however, DH did not. It was not traditional enough for him. He later turned the leftovers into what he considers "real" Jambalaya and that made him happy. Thanks, Leslie, for posting this recipe!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb other spicy sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup diced green onion
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in heavy 5-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- Add andouille and stir until crisp and brown, about 10 minutes; transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon, to drain.
- Add bell peppers,onion,celery, garlic,thyme,bay leaves, pepper,white pepper, file' and cayenne to saucepan.
- Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Mix in stock,tomatoes and salt; increase heat and bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice has absorbed all liquid, about 22 minutes.
- Transfer rice mixture to a large bowl, add the andouille sausage and green onions and cool.
- Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir crab into stuffing.
- Reserve 7 cups stuffing for turkey (if desired).
- Spoon remaining stuffing into a 2-quart baking dish and cover tightly.
- Can be prepared 4 1/2 hour ahead and refrigerated.
- Bake until hot, about 40 minutes, and serve.