1 hr 30 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This stuffing is meant to be served with Creole Roast Turkey. Half the stuffing is cooked in the turkey, the remainder is baked separately. If you prefer to cook all the stuffing separately, use a 4 qt. casserole dish. Originally from a November 1987 issue of Bon Appetit in a "Creole Thanksgiving" article.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb other spicy sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, cored and diced
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon file powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 cup diced green onion
- 1 lb lump crabmeat
- 1Heat oil in heavy 5-quart saucepan over medium heat.
- 2Add andouille and stir until crisp and brown, about 10 minutes; transfer to paper towels using slotted spoon, to drain.
- 3Add bell peppers,onion,celery, garlic,thyme,bay leaves, pepper,white pepper, file' and cayenne to saucepan.
- 4Cover and cook over low heat until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- 5Mix in stock,tomatoes and salt; increase heat and bring to a boil.
- 6Stir in rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook until rice has absorbed all liquid, about 22 minutes.
- 7Transfer rice mixture to a large bowl, add the andouille sausage and green onions and cool.
- 8Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
- 9Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 10Stir crab into stuffing.
- 11Reserve 7 cups stuffing for turkey (if desired).
- 12Spoon remaining stuffing into a 2-quart baking dish and cover tightly.
- 13Can be prepared 4 1/2 hour ahead and refrigerated.
- 14Bake until hot, about 40 minutes, and serve.
Browse Our Top Crab Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 640.0
- Calories from Fat 230
- Total Fat 25.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 79.8 mg
- Sodium 1844.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 67.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 33.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: