1/1 Photo of Jambalaya Soup
7 hrs 10 mins
crawfish pie's Note:
Found this in a magazine a couple of years ago and it is something I make often,I leave out and add things depending on what I have on hand.Have fun and hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice, undrained
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2/3 cup long grain rice (white or brown)
- 1 (3 ounce) fully cooked andouille sausages or 1 (3 ounce) chorizo sausage, diced
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks (about 2 LBS.)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 lb cleaned medium shrimp (optional)
- 1/2 lb fresh okra, sliced 1/2 inch thick (optional)
- 1In a saucepan,bring broth,tomatoes,garlic,herbs and cayenne to a boil.
- 2In a 5-or6-qt slow-cooker, mix onion,celery,rice and sausage.
- 3Add broth.
- 4Tuck in drumsticks,meaty side down,to cover.
- 5Scatter bell peppers on top.
- 6Cover;cook on low-heat setting 7-8 hrs,or on high for2 1/2-3 hrs,until rice has softened and chicken is tender.
- 7Uncover then turn to high.
- 8Add shrimp and okra;cover.
- 9Simmer 5 minutes,until shrimp are cooked and okra is crisp tender.
- 10Remove drumsticks;remove bones,if desired.
- 11Ladle in soup bowls and add chicken to each bowl.
- 12MY NOTES:You may add or subtract to your liking.
- 13I have used chicken thighs and chicken breasts and I have also used smoked sausage.
- 14Use more or less seasonings or add different ones.
- 15I also make this in my dutch oven on the stove top.
- 16If you do it this way cook everything but the shrimp and okra for about an hour&10 min,then add shrimp and okra and simmer for about 5 more minutes.
- 17Have fun!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya Soup
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.3
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 53.8 mg
- Sodium 777.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 20.3 g