Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
A twist on a New Orleans classic.
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup green sweet pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 ounces dried bow tie pasta
- 12 ounces large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1⁄2 lb andouille sausages or 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, snipped
- In a large saucepan, cook onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic in cooking oil for 5 to 7 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Add undrained tomatoes, broth and tomato paste. Stir in oregano, basil, thyme, red pepper and black pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions, adding shrimp the last 1 to 3 minutes or until opaque. Drain and return to the pan.
- Add sausage and ham to tomato sauce; heat through. Add sauce mixture and parsley to pasta mixture, tossing gently to combine.