Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a classic jambalaya recipe substituting rotini pasta for the rice. I prefer the pasta over the rice. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs link sausage, sliced
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups rotini pasta
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Brown sausage in bacon drippings; remove, set aside and add flour. Use a heavy black pot and brown flour in drippings to make a dark roux.
- Add onions, parsley, and garlic. Cook until soft, then add water, salt & pepper and browned sausage. Bring to boil and add pasta.
- Lower heat and cook for about 30 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring occasionally to be sure pasta doesn't stick to bottom.
- After pasta is done and it's too watery, remove lid and let cook for a few minutes until liquid is absorbed.