Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found Paula Deen's Jambalya recipe and modified it to suit my taste and what I had on hand. This is very spicy, so tone it down to your taste accordingly. Serve w/ a fresh salad and vinigrette dressing. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 lb smoked sausage, sliced and then quartered
- 1 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 2 (10 ounce) cansrotel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long grain rice
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute chopped onion, minced garlic, and bouillon until vegetables are tender. Add sausage and the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT shrimp. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed. Add shrimp and mix to cook for 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately.
I really liked the ease of preparation. The bouillon was replaced with beef stock and Cajun seasoning added in place of the seasonings listed. Made for PAC 2012.