Top Review by AimeeL73
I used shrimp instead of chicken, and have made a similar recipe before, but couldn't remember where it was or how I made it. I liked it a lot, but the nutrition facts have me thinking that I'm not going to make it anytime soon! Lots of fat and calories to it, and am trying to watch our saturated fats. Also, no amount given on the cayenne. I used 1/2 tsp and liked the heat, but added some crushed red pepper to the shrimp to add to it a bit.
- 1 (3 lb) chicken
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup fine chopped parsley
- 2 lbs smoked sausage
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 cup fine chopped green onion
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- cayenne pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut chicken into 2 inch pieces.
- ,rinsed, and dried.
- Set aside.
- Slice smoked sausage into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a heavy, high-walled skillet over med.
- heat, brown the chicken in the oil, stirring the meat around so it won't stick.
- After the chicken has browned, remove from pot.
- Then add onions, bell pepper, parsley, and green onions, and saute until the onions are clear.
- Stir in the sausage, rice, stock, garlic, chicken, salt, and pepper.
- Continue cooking until nearly all the water has boiled out, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and let simmer until the rice is done, about 1 hr.
- DO NOT LIFT THE LID FOR AT LEAST 1 HOUR.