1/1 Photo of Jambalaya (Authentic)
2 hrs 20 mins
Alan Leonetti's Note:
This is the BEST recipe for Jambalaya, directly from OLD NEW ORLEANS!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 stalk celery (cut into bit size pieces with leaves)
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups converted long grain rice
- 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1 lb smoked sausage (sliced)
- 1 lb ham (cubed)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1In a large pot, cover chicken with water and add the celery, quartered onion, and the 4 cloves of garlic. Boil until tender, approximately 1 hour.
- 2Reserve the stock. Remove the chicken from the bones & either cut, slice, cube or shred.
- 3In 5 cups of stock, cook rice until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. The rice should be slightly moist.
- 4In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage and ham until slightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Remove the sausage and ham from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- 6Add butter to Dutch oven and saute the chopped onion, green bell pepper and parsley until tender, about 3 minutes.
- 7Into the Dutch oven, add the chicken, sausage, ham, the 2 cloves of minced garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
- 8Mix, and then add the rice and the cooked shrimp and mix thoroughly.
- 9Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes.
- 10Remove bay leaf and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya (Authentic)
Serving Size: 1 (558 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1072.5
- Calories from Fat 521
- Total Fat 57.9 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 316.2 mg
- Sodium 3391.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 71.5 g