This is the BEST recipe for Jambalaya, directly from OLD NEW ORLEANS!
Make and share this Jambalaya (Authentic) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 stalk celery (cut into bit size pieces with leaves)
- 1 onion (quartered)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 cups converted long grain rice
- 1 lb cooked and peeled shrimp
- 1 lb smoked sausage (sliced)
- 1 lb ham (cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup yellow onion (chopped)
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot, cover chicken with water and add the celery, quartered onion, and the 4 cloves of garlic. Boil until tender, approximately 1 hour.
- Reserve the stock. Remove the chicken from the bones & either cut, slice, cube or shred.
- In 5 cups of stock, cook rice until liquid is absorbed, about 25 minutes. The rice should be slightly moist.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the sausage and ham until slightly browned, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the sausage and ham from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add butter to Dutch oven and saute the chopped onion, green bell pepper and parsley until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Into the Dutch oven, add the chicken, sausage, ham, the 2 cloves of minced garlic, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Mix, and then add the rice and the cooked shrimp and mix thoroughly.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, about 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf and serve.