1/1 Photo of Jambalaya Alaskan Style
Uncle Dobo's Note:
This recipe came from Carol, of Anchorage, AK, and was posted at the the Alaska Seafood Cookbook website from the Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute. The site suggests to serve with a cool, tangy coleslaw and plenty of cold beer-or something else to quench the fire! This recipe is moderately hot, and you can substitute less spicy sausages, if you like. If you have nice chunks of cooked salmon or halibut, or seared scallops, you can add those when you add the shrimp, too! They make a nice addition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 lb hot reindeer Polish sausage, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 lb regular reindeer Polish sausage, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- lemon pepper seasoning, to taste
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups beef broth or 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 1 1/2 cups cooked fresh shrimp or 1 1/2 cups cooked frozen shrimp
- 1In a large skillet or kettle, sauté the bacon, garlic, onion, and green pepper for 2 to 3 minutes.
- 2Add the sausages and continue to sauté until the onion is translucent but not golden.
- 3Add the parsley, thyme, lemon pepper, salt and pepper, broth, and Tabasco, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat a little and let boil for 5 minutes.
- 4Add the rice, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes until the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender but not mushy.
- 5Add the cooked shrimp, stir well, and cook until shrimp are just heated through.
- 6Serve with tangy coleslaw and Alaskan sourdough cornbread (see Alaskan Sourdough Cornbread).
- 7Makes 4 servings.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya Alaskan Style
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 555.2
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.3 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 1187.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 17.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: