Recipe by Missy B.
I make this the same way my Mom does. I'm not sure where she got the recipe. It is so fast and easy that I make it at least every two or three weeks.
Top Review by jeepmomma
With the exception of using chicken broth in place of the water, I followed your recipe. This was fantastic! Even my eight-year-old loved this...and she usually hates trying new foods. Thank you for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (16 ounce) package Polish sausage
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 cups rice
- 4 cups water
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 5 -6 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package baby shrimp (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop onion and pepper roughly.
- Slice polish sausage into 1/4" slices.
- In a large pot heat oil and add polish sausage.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add onion and pepper.
- Cook until onion is translucent.
- Add all other ingredients except shrimp.
- (The optional tomato sauce just makes it more tomato-y) Stir.
- Cover and simmer on medium stirring at every 15 minutes.
- Taste and re season as needed.
- When rice is almost cooked (35-45 minutes) add shrimp.
- Cook an additional 10 minutes.