Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1⁄4 cup chicken fat or 1⁄4 cup pork fat or 1⁄4 cup beef fat or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tasso (preferred) or 1 1⁄2 cups other smoked ham (preferably Cure 81, see Note)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped andouille smoked sausage (preferred) or 1 1⁄2 cups any other good smoked pork sausage, such as polish sausage (Kielbasa, see Note)
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme meat magic seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme magic hot pepper sauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
- 2 cups hot basic pork stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups water
- NOTE: K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Cajun Pork Tasso (smoked pork strips) and K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Andouille smoked sausage are available through 1-800-457-2857.
- If you substitute ham for the tasso and/or sausage for the andouille, be sure to add more Meat Magic.
- In a 4-quart saucepan, melt chicken fat over medium heat.
- Add 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
- Cook until onions are a rich brown color, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tasso, andouille and remaining 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
- Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Meat Magic, garlic and Magic Pepper Sauce.
- Simmer 15, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to high, fold in rice until well mixed.
- Add stock, cover pot and remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- Return saucepan to medium heat and cook covered for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.