1 hr 10 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup chicken fat or 1/4 cup pork fat or 1/4 cup beef fat or 1/4 cup margarine
- 3 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tasso (preferred) or 1 1/2 cups other smoked ham (preferably Cure 81, see Note)
- 1 1/2 cups chopped andouille smoked sausage (preferred) or 1 1/2 cups any other good smoked pork sausage, such as polish sausage (Kielbasa, see Note)
- 8 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 bay leaves
- 4 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme meat magic seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chef paul prudhomme magic hot pepper sauce
- 2 1/2 cups uncooked rice (preferably converted)
- 2 cups hot basic pork stock or 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups water
- 1NOTE: K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Cajun Pork Tasso (smoked pork strips) and K-Paul's Louisiana Kitchen Andouille smoked sausage are available through 1-800-457-2857.
- 2If you substitute ham for the tasso and/or sausage for the andouille, be sure to add more Meat Magic.
- 3In a 4-quart saucepan, melt chicken fat over medium heat.
- 4Add 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
- 5Cook until onions are a rich brown color, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add the tasso, andouille and remaining 1-1/2 cups onions, 1 cup celery and 3/4 cup bell peppers.
- 7Continue cooking 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 8Add the tomatoes, tomato sauce, bay leaves, Meat Magic, garlic and Magic Pepper Sauce.
- 9Simmer 15, stirring occasionally.
- 10Turn heat to high, fold in rice until well mixed.
- 11Add stock, cover pot and remove from heat.
- 12Let stand, covered, 15 minutes.
- 13Return saucepan to medium heat and cook covered for 4 minutes.
- 14Remove from heat and let stand, covered, until rice is tender, about 10 minutes.
- 15Remove bay leaves and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Creole Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jambalaya
Serving Size: 1 (447 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 458.6
- Calories from Fat 86
- Total Fat 9.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.2 mg
- Sodium 284.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 84.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 8.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: